1. Computing

Robert Silva

DirecTV Settles State Lawsuits - Consumer Group Vows Further Action

By December 16, 2010

Those of you that follow my site on a regular basis know that I have been providing on-going coverage of customer complaints targeted at DirecTV. Now, after legal action filed in some form by Attorneys General in all 50 States, Direct TV has apparently agreed to a settlement and will be changing how it discloses its contract details to consumers. Initial reports vary on the actual dollar amount of the monetary portion of the settlement (see Reuters vs the LA Times).

For additional details on DirecTVs settlement with the States, read the official statement from DirecTV. Also, Consumer Watchdog.org has chimed in with an interesting follow-up statement, in which they have announced that they are continuing to pursue additional legal action to force further change in DirecTV's contract policies.

Also, check out my past coverage of this matter as it has lead up to this point. Watch for any further developments as they arise.

Comments
December 17, 2010 at 10:43 am
(1) Liselle Easto says:

A year ago we had Direct tv installed into our new home. Because our former lanlord’s son worked for Direct tv and it was not a very good situation with us, the son was able to gain access to our account and get us disconnected. He called claiming to be my husband and asked to have our service discontinued. I have filed a complaint, filed a police report, but the son is still able to work for them..My concern is that if he was able to gain access to our account to disconnect us and still keep his job what else can the field reps do to our accounts.

December 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm
(2) Ms Weeks says:

I myself had direct TV shut off yesterday. I was tired of the channels not coming thru, constant re-runs, and the promised deals on price not being adhered to. I haven’t received my closing statement but after reading all these complaints I’m worried. They charged me for a 2 year contract that is up and told me to return the boxes that I thought we bought… $20.00/month x 24 months=480.00 above and beyound the monthly fee’s. The lady said that is the lease of the equipment so that you can actually get the channels it’s a seperate fee. I could complain forever but instead would love to join a class action lawsuit against them for deceiving me regarding the tv line up’s and channels included plus monthly fee’s.

December 17, 2010 at 2:40 pm
(3) Sam says:

Let’s be honest. Direct TV changed their position from buying to leasing the equipment years ago. Anyone who has been with them for years and has had to change equipment already went through the experience. Why do you think the installation is free? I’ve never “purchased” equipment at a retailer and wonder why anyone ever would. Those that did however certainly are entitled to refunds. Direct TV is great for those who watch sports. Certainly a premium is paid for the privilege but that’s the price you pay. If you aren’t into sports, you should be looking at cable or the Dish Network as both are considerably cheaper.

December 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm
(4) elizabeth says:

i just want to tell anyone, direct tv tell lies,ones they install this service,is a deal with the devil.they only tell the reality after its instaaed. like hd cost more its not free. add another receiver 169. more and sign more contracts.

December 22, 2010 at 10:06 am
(5) phil says:

Direct TV is owned by Murdock fame…same as FoxNews…he has never been accused of ethical business practices….I have Verizon Fios HD system and its been over two years without a problem…sometimes the billing is screwed up but they fix it. I say, dropping Direct TV is a giant F.U. to Murdock.

December 22, 2010 at 6:01 pm
(6) Louise says:

Please put me in contact with who I can go to to resolve the awful treatment that I received from the installer and Direct TV. I was so ripped off that I have ulcers and have had an awful time recovering from the promises, the lies, the full out inability of Direct TV to even listen. The installer even stole things from my home.

December 30, 2010 at 7:19 pm
(7) dadago says:

When we installed Direct TV, we were told we had a 1 year contract. Ah ha! 2 days after the crap was installed, we received a letter stating we were stuck with a 2 year contract. The price has almost doubled but we’re unable to get out of the contract due to the $20.00 a month “early termination fees”. Our contract is up in June and we can hardly wait! I would love to tell them where to put their dish but the sun isn’t shining here anyway LOL

January 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm
(8) Karen Taylor says:

We moved a month ago to a new house. Direct TV told us that they wouldn’t move our service unless we agreed to paying $50 up front to move services. Since we didn’t have the money, we agreed to suspend the service until we could afford to pay the additional fee. My husband only had them suspend the service for a month because we didn’t know what our situation would be like past that. We decided to suspend the service further because they tell you in your contract you can suspend service for up to 6 months. They told us that they could not extend the suspension because that is not their policy. When my husband asked them why they didn’t tell us that, the customer service rep told him that “We don’t have to tell you everything.” They then proceeded to tell us that our service would be back up on 1/18/2011 which we would be responsible for paying. So basically we would be paying for service that we couldn’t access unless we agreed to the $50 moving fee. At this point, we are canceling our contract. We have had 10 problems with them in the last 3 months because they have told us either information that was untrue or misleading.

January 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm
(9) Jodie says:

First complaint I noticed a huge increase in my bill, when I called they said it was for the NFL games which I never ask for. They said they sent a letter informing me that they were going to add it to my service and I had to notify them if I didn’t want it. That’s bullshit, it took for ever to get it discontinued and they keep saying I owed them money for something I never ask for. So I threaten them with the B.B.B. Next complaint I got another DVR for one of the bedrooms, our contact should have done in 2008 (1 yr left). They extended my contact for another 2 yrs, when I called them about it, stating no one told me that getting a DVR would lengthen my contact 2 more years, they said it was on the box the DVR came in. Crooks!!! I no longer have Direct TV

January 14, 2011 at 6:22 am
(10) manuel z says:

I curently lost my local fox and in the process of loosing my local nbc, i only have a couple mo left on my contract and dont plan on keeping direct tv for my programing they have offerd me free show and hbo for a yr and 5$ off my programing for the inconvenance, what a joke! get my chanls back and maybe ill stay not!

January 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm
(11) Ray says:

I wonder how much the settlement was for, Directv is a crooked company. I am an installer for a contractor and we just recently received a cut in pay. There were somethings that we got paid for installing and now we have to do for free, that means a difference in my pay of $150-200 a week. Seems to me Directv finds ways not recover at the expense of others.

Also in response to the comments below about leased recievers and returning them when you cancel, here is a lil fyi. You lease these recievers for the term of the contract and after that expires the recievers are then yours and you do not need to return them. You can keep them until you decide to reactivate your account and as long as you dont add a new reciever you dont have to sign a new contract you will be paying monthly and can cancell anytime. If directv is asking for a reciever back on an expired contract do do it. They will just refurbish it and use it to tie another person to a contract, thats one of the ways they make their money. Last week I was at a customers who signed a new contract and had to get new receivers, they cut her off 8 days short of current contract and asked her to return the receivers, I had to school on this practice. A reciever is what ties you to a 2 year contract, not the service, so keep that in mind.

January 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(12) Jason says:

How do i go about joining the class action lawsuit against directv? They screwed me as well, and i would like to get compensated. Thank you

January 16, 2011 at 10:47 am
(13) erik says:

DirecTV does a remarkable job of making itself sound relevant and competitive with DISH Network. Although they have more customers, it looks like that trend is quickly reversing. I work for DISH and also subscribe to such services as HD Free for LIFE, had a FREE DVR upgrade and also enjoy a revolving cycle of FREE Programming as I am setup with autopay. Convenient, Up-to-Date programming, and technology at the cutting edge of the industry. With DirecTV you can get a cheaper up-front rate, but after a year it will increase significantly….also Direct customers are prevented from certain things such as free upgrades and Free HD unless they subscribe to a programming package upward of $110 per month. No thanks. Check out Dish.com for a better deal.

January 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm
(14) Tom says:

I received my credit card summery last thursday and direct tv had raised my monthly charge from $65.36 to $85.36 with no notification. I called and and told them I wanted a refund, and they told me they were sorry but they could not give me a refund. Direct tv did apologize for not notifing me of the increase. BIG DEAL Looks like they are back to their tricks.

January 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm
(15) Rebecca says:

I called Direct TV in November and talked to them about cancelling my service. I was upset because they got rid of G4, the only channel we really watched. I was told that it would be a fee of $250 to cancel and that my agreement was up in May 2011. I called them today and now they are telling me it’s going to cost $300 to cancel and the agreement lasts until May of 2012. According to the rep that I talked to, just by accepting the dvr receiver in May of 2010 I entered into an agreement for two years. I was also told I did not have to sign anything and it was a verbal agreement. However I was never told about it. I was told nothing of the sort in November nor have I changed anything since I called then.

What I’m wondering is how do I cancel now? They are going to continue to charge me for trying to cancel. I have no way of knowing when my agreement is up. They are pretty much making up their own dates and it looks like no matter what I’m going to have to pay $200 plus to get out of this agreement.

They gave me an address and told me if I wanted to cancel I could. The problem is I have to cancel before I dispute anything so I’m then out service and $300 with no guarantee I’ll get anything back. Then on top of that who knows if I would get the money for the receivers. If I wanted to dispute the fee I had to send a written letter stating the amount of the early termination fee, why I disagree with the fee, and my contact information.

The address given to me was:
Direct TV Inc.
Attention Billing Disputes
P.O.Box 6550
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80155-6550

Has anyone had experience with writing a letter to here?

I have had them on auto pay as well. I’m assuming at this point I should take them off of auto pay. I’m hoping that someone can help me out!

January 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm
(16) Robert A. Dart says:

When I was first contacted to upgrade my TV I assumed it was to upgrade my dish tv which I had had for a number of years and very well satisfied with. After the installation I realized it was direcTV which I had not asked for. I contacted direcTV service people in Adrian, MI. and was told that they didn’t care which one it was, either dish or direcTV, since they serviced them both. I told him I was very dissatisfied with direcTV and wanted to cancel them. I then did so, when Dish called me and asked whyI had cancelledthem I told them I had been misled and was going to get them back for my satellite tv which was done. dish informed me I had 30 days to cancel direcTV. Not according to direcTV. I refused to pay their bill and told them to take me to court, I didn’t care. they ended up utilizing my mastercard and taking the money out of my account. $436.94without my consent. I am seeking legal assistance on the advice of my bank plus sending in a complaint to the Better Business Buream

February 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(17) Donna Talarski says:

How can I join the law suit. I am a loyal customer of Direct TV for 2 plus years. I moved and bundled my services and changed my package. I was told I would get a $15.00 month credit for 1 year for bundling. At the time I was also receiving a $10.00 credit for the HD service fee for 2 years. Now they are saying that because I changed my package to a lower package I am not eligible for the HD credit of the bundling credit. Though I did all this with a Customer Service Rep. and she never advised me about loosing the HD credit and the bundling kept telling me I would get a $15.00 credit for 12 months. After 4 months of calling and questioning my incorrect monthly invoice I was told I was not eligible for either credit They did offer me a token credit of $5.00 for three months which I refused.

February 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(18) Paul says:

signed contract on feb 3 2011. Every thing they told me works, just not the way they say. I called Tuesday the next week because everything I ordered still wasn’t installed. Was informed the contract only said they had to. So I asked why I deliver a good picture. Next I complained that we couldn’t get acces to recorded programs in bedrooms. Was then told it would only work on 1 tv + the DDR at a time to view recorded programs. Today is the 12th and I’ve already had to call them 4x +at least 10 calls toour retailer/installer. Retailer sold me a 2 yr contract laying out the cost increases for the second yr. I asked direct tv rep about this they tell me the price guarentee is for only the first year.
I found they just had to pay a class action penaly in Florida in December, but they still are lying. Need to start another

February 16, 2011 at 9:23 am
(19) Jake says:

Had Directv for more than 14 years. Moved a couple of times and each time asked to cancel, yet they insisted I use their move package which I did. On my last move on December 2009, I advised the Directv rep I should not be under contract and she concurred.
The problems started when I upgraded my TV’s in March of 2010 and asked to upgrade my receivers due to the old Directv remotes do not function with my new TV’s. Directv quoted an “upgrade” of more than $600 (HD receivers added). I advised them I only want the updated remotes and will cancel when I get home from work.
My issue is if I am paying a rental fee every month for antiquated equipment, they should have upgraded without a fee. They called and begged me to stay and I advised again I should not be under contract and their rep concurred.
Jump to January 2011, Fios is available, I cancel Directv, they send a cancellation fee of $227. So much for my loyalty to Directv!

February 25, 2011 at 2:09 am
(20) John says:

Is there a class action suit going? I’d like to join too.

March 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(21) Dan maggio says:

DirectTV is the most deceptive Corporation I have ever dealt with.Watch out for their rebates and contracts!Where is consumer protection in California?I may be am interested in joining a class action lawsuit.

March 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm
(22) Lori says:

We have had Directv for about 4 years. We had horrible installers, that didn’t hook up the second line for the DVR, we had to pay to have them come back out to do it. Then we had no HD channels for MONTHS. Everytime I would call I was on the phone well over an hour trying to figure out what the problem was. Finally they sent out a technician who found that the connectors going to the satallite had never been protected from the weather, and they had corroded. The box in our bedroom went out so we upgraded to a HD box to go with the new HD TV. The box cost us $200. NO ONE told us that by getting that box we were locked into another two year contract. We recently cancelled Directv, and were informed that we couldn’t cancel without paying a $200 cancellation fee. When we asked why, that was when we found out that getting the new box put us into another 2 year contract. I found the paperwork that I unfortunately signed AFTER they installed the box, and in small print on the back it says that by getting an HD box I would be into another 2 year contract. I have sent letters to directv disputing the $200 and finally got a response from an e-mail I sent on their website. They sent me a notice back saying that the fee is there and their is nothing I can do about it. They sent me a copy of the confirmation e-mail stating that I was informed before receiveing the box that I would be in this new contract. They even sent a copy of the e-mail to me, where I did not see anything referring to lock in for upgrading a box. I am not sure what legal action I can take. I don’t want it to screw up my credit by NOT paying it, but I am so upset that that they have done this. I don’t feel that they should get away with my money, they have already charged me for so much.

March 23, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(23) Michelle Adair says:

Direct TV had me in tears today, and that is difficult to do. Two days ago, I called Direct TV to turn off service that was in my fathers name as he has passed away, and turn the service on in my name. I explained to the nice guy who helped me that we had 5 DVR’s currently That my father has “purchased” and one that I had purchased at Best Buy, and I asked him if it would be possible to keep those hooked up. He bold faced lied to me when he said that it would be no problem at all. All I had to do he said was tell the installer when he came that is what I wanted and he would take care of it for me. When the installer got here I explained the situation and he said there was no way he could do that. He was only authorized to install what was on his list. He went on to tell me that once a DVR had been installed in someone’s name it could not be moved to another account, which then meant that the 6 DVR’s currently in my home were useless to me. I asked him to call his supervisor, and that it when I learned for the first time that the DVR I thought I had purchased at Best Buy for $199 wasn’t mine at all that it was only leased!!!!!! What the Hell? How does one go about getting a class action suite filed. How is it with all the complaints I have read about tonight and the fact that this has been going on for quite some time nothing has been done to stop these thieves.

April 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(24) Darlene Nelson says:

I cancelled Direct TV service in October 2010 and was charged a fee of $204.73 which was taken out of my checking account without authorization. When I questioned Direct TV about this withdrawal, they stated it is in the contract. Next, after I cancelled them and went to Comcast, I receceived a bill two months later for $162.85 for one boxing match in 2006 and another in 2005 (charged twice for the same fight). Now, keep in mind that when I closed the account all payments and outstanding bills were paid and I have a statement showing a $0 balance. I wrote Direct TV and told them they must be joking if I am going to pay for something that according to them was provided 5 years ago and after I paid in full to close the account.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO JOIN THE LAWSUIT!!!

April 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(25) Bob says:

Seems to me Direct TV would do themselves a service to change their practices.

If there are this many people unhappy with their service, my guess is there is no chance in hell they’ll ever see any business from these people ever again…

They keep doing this, and eventually they’ll have no one to buy what they are selling….

It’s a bad deal from a marketing standpoint…!

They need to be more realistic and pragmatic about
the situation.

April 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(26) Erin Eberhardt says:

I decided to them another try after a horrible experience around three years before with them. After two days my channels would freeze and even the recordings were flawed. I called and called, they sent some one out on easter to fix the problem but their solution was drilling wholes every where. I called to cancel seeing as how it had only been 6 days and they informed me that it would be over $450.00 so not only did I get to miss easter with my child I had to pay an arm and a leg for 6 days of service!!! NEVER again will I trust them!!

April 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm
(27) Sandra Palmer says:

Would someone tell me who I can contact about Direct TV and all the lies I have been told. I received a advertisement in the mail and decided to call Direct TV. When the service man came and hooked us up to Direct TV he treated my husband like crap and was very short with him to the point of calling one of my TV’s off brand cheap and put the dish on a service platform that the compressors for my home are on. My husband told him not to put the dish on the platform, but the serviceman would only put the dish there. One of my TV’s would not work and I had to call Direct TV about this problem. It ended up with one call after another. My first bill was wrong and I had to call about that. When I received the second bill and it was wrong I called them and back and ended so upset I told them to come and get their stuff and get it out of my house and that when they got the bill straight I would pay it. I ended up with boxes and I had to pack up their boxes and take to the mail box and send back. I just received another bill from them and it was for $474.+ and I called and the said it was for early disconnect fee. I told the lady I was not going to pay it and she said they would turn me over to the collection agency. I have never had bad credit and I want to know who to talk to to get help. Iasked for their CEO phone number and corp. office and she said she could give me a address and I could write them a letter. Help please!

May 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm
(28) April says:

I have so many complaints I don’t know where to start!! I had been with them for 8 years. My equipment was so old, we had so many problems with the boxes and we had trees and plants that had grown in front of the satellite over the years. To get new equipment and move the satellite they were wanting to charge us for it and put us in a new 2 year contract.I couldn’t get it all free like they do for new customers.. So I decided to leave and go elsewhere. Directv called, emailed, and sent mail to us NONSTOP!! They stacked us!! For a year this went on. I finally caved in and went back with them after they promised to pay 200.00 to get me out of my contract with the other company we were with.. Once they got me everything they said I’d get was a lie!! I had to fight them for 4 months for my 200.00 . I must of talked to 20 different people all telling me something different from saying I had to fill out a form that never exited ,to mailing in a letter to three different departments!! Finally I got it after pitching a HUGE fit threatening to sue them!! Now my bill is different ever month!! I was told hd was free now I’m being charged 10.00 for it,, they said it was only free for 6 months …?. I only had 3 receivers installed but I’m being charged for leasing 4 receivers. I bought one receiver 8 years ago and they are charging me to lease something I OWN!! AND when I signed up in June 2010 the lease of the receivers were 5.00 now 6.00!! I told them you can’t do that when I’m in a contract and they said it was in the contract that they can increase the prices any time while I’m in the contract!!! WHAT! That should NEVER be legal!! So I’m stuck with them for 2 years and they can charge me whatever they want every month and I can’t do anything about it!?!? That can’t be right!! I hope they do get sued and some rules get made to protect the consumers!! I want nothing to do with them but I’m stuck and they know it. I have a year left and I’m counting the days!!

June 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(29) Amy says:

Just want to say that it is your right, privilege and duty as a consumer to read any contract, agreement, sheet of paper, etc before you make any commitment or sign on the dotted line. Honestly, its time you start taking responsibility for your actions and read the fine print. You won’t marry someone without finding out everything about them would you. So do your homework. At this point in time if you do not know that any satellite provider does not come with a 24 month agreement then you have not been paying attention. Every advertisement for dish and directv clearly state that their product comes with a 2 year agreement and that ecf fees apply. If you don’t agree with that, don’t let the installation happen.

June 13, 2011 at 12:31 am
(30) Angelique says:

Um, Amy……BITE ME! Now take responsibility for the fact that you are nothing but an ignorant beyoch. You must work for DirectTV.

DirectTV LIES and uses deceptive practices……I can’t speak for anyone else, but I never SIGNED anything……NO Contract was ever presented to me, either. I called for service over the phone, and of course the CSR tells you everything you want to hear just to get you as their customer. Their equipment sucks, their customer service sucks and their service, in general, sucks!

I do not understand how it is LEGAL to bind one to a 2yr contract without even being able to TRY the product first, OR the fact that I never signed anything! WTF!?!?

Then, to make matters worse, they send me an email today, regarding their “DirectTV Protection plan”…..for only $5.99/mo, Direct TV will do you the huge favor of FIXING THEIR OWN CRAPPY Equipment if it breaks, with “No Hassles” and “Support around the clock” HUH? I believe that’s just called “CUSTOMER SERVICE” and SHOULD be included in the rates we already pay for their crappy service and crappy equipment!

UNBEFRIGGENLIEVABLE!

June 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm
(31) Mike M. says:

Contact the Attorney Generals office of your state. Direct TV have been scamming people all over the country with this early termination scam. They have so many complaints that they have made an agreement with EVERY STATE in the USA to take care of people like you and me they have fraudulently stuck it to. I’m working with the Attorney Generals office in Missouri now. Again CONTACT YOUR STATES ATTORNEY GENERALS office..

August 16, 2011 at 10:31 am
(32) Ron LaRose says:

We had Direct TV for 5 years. When Dish Network came out with a better deal, I decided to go with them. I called Direct to disconnect and was offered the same deal.
I took it but after 6 months, they raised it back up to the original amount.
When I called them, they said that the offer was only good for 6 months. This is a “Direct” lie!
They never said anything about 6 months.
I told them to disconnect and they said that I would have to pay a disconnect fee.
I have been fighting them for over a year now, and am tired of it.
They have turned me over to a collection agency and now am going to file a companint with my State of Georgia Utilities Commisioner and the BBB.
I will also be taking them to small claims court.

August 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm
(33) Wankee Veal says:

I was told that my monthly bill will be 24.99 and I would getfree HBO for the first month to do the rebate. I did the rebate on-line when I got the bill it came out to 44.62 a month when I called them to see why it was so much they said the rebate did not go through. I moved from my house and called in for the service to be moved they said my bill is 624.00 and the place where I live is cable ready and if I send in their equipment it would be 461.00 for not being able to keep the agreement.

September 13, 2011 at 10:59 am
(34) Wendy Moss says:

I cancelled my service in March 2011. They sent me a bill which I sisputed. guess what…….they had a c/card of mine on file for a previous payment and they starting using my card to make my payments. I moved to Canada on a temp. assignment and cannot use the directv 1800 number from canada. Is this legal? They can use your c/card without your permission and put you onto an autopay without you knowing? I am still struggling to get through to them and when I do it takes weeks for them to find out the simplest of things. Can I contact the police? Can I contact the FBI Fraud Division? Who do i contact about illegal use of my c/card.

November 15, 2011 at 11:46 am
(35) Joel says:

Glad I read these. I am currently with Dish – and do not like the service, and WAS considering DirectTV. I have had some ID theft issues in the past, so am paranoid about sharing SSN or credit card info. I offered to pay the entire 2 year contract in advance to avoid a “credit relationship”. They said w/out a credit report I’d have to provide $300 non refundable deposit, that they would credit back over 60 months. (But again – no credit relationship exists – so no credit report is needed.) They also require a credit card on file – now I see so that they can find a way to nickel and dime and charge me somehow, even though they have the funds there already. And since they can alter their prices at any time – if it gets too expensive – I am out whatever of the $300 is left. Fortunately – I will not enter into a contract as inflexible as they want. I will continu with Dish until I FIOS becomes available. I am their worst customer nightmare- I actually read all the fine print up front. I told them if they cannot alter the terms for a cash relationship, fine we’re done. They called and spent 30 minutes trying to explain their contract – basically trying to convince me to accept their poor contract. I then ended the call – pointing out that contracts are freely entered into negotiations – and there is no negotiation on their part. But the comments above lead me to believe I made the right choice. They really did not want me – the wanted access to my cedit card for bogus charges. (not today- not anyday).

January 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(36) darlenewadkins says:

Still trying tricks in 2012……….my contract that I signed was 1 year contract, then turned into 18 months, then another 6 months, now another year. I say Bring it on. Dare you to go into my account illegally Asked me if I wanted free DVR…..questioned them about it, said ok…..2 weeks later, get very large bill. Free really wasn’t free, told them didn’t want it, take it back. They said I would be charged FEE to get old receiver back, they would just block it, and would be like I didn’t have it. Supposedly that extended my contract. BULL CHIT!

May 21, 2012 at 10:33 pm
(37) Ruth says:

In August 2011 I called to cancel my DirectTV account since I moved out of NY. DirectTV insisted I should not cancel but rather suspend since I have been a customer for over 10 years and must add did not have a contract since I was already on a month to month basis, I insisted no cancel, but they only suspended my account. In December 2011 they reinstated my services to the old address in NYC where I no longer lived and charged for services which I never benefited from. I started receiving phone calls from DirectTv in Feb.2012 requesting Payment, and they said my services were reinstated, I said I never authorized that and I no longer lived in NY and asked them to look up my account that was the reason I cancelled my services.

Needless to say they charged my friend credit’s card for some months of service and now I have to write to the Dispute address to request a refund.

This is ridiculous.

July 12, 2012 at 10:09 am
(38) Mick says:

We are new DirectTv users…a month or so now and very disappointed. Not only were we NOT made aware of the 2 year commitment, we noticed just today that they added some 20.00 protection plan to our account. We called them and they removed it (they also reduced our bill by 10.00 a month for 6 months – that’s cool). We made the switch from Time Warner cable due to their very high prices, but now I know why their prices are so high – perhaps worth it. DirectTV doesn’t have backlit remotes – a minor inconvenience I know, but when you’ve had one for 10 years, it is hard getting use to not having it (but you can pay 25.00 for a remote with backlighting!). I also have very poor vision, the backlight is important to me. I also don’t like that it takes HOURS to download a movie on demand – wow – not really ON demand now is it? I know I am all over the place here with my comments, but we also had to pay an additional 100.00 when the barely English speaking tech came out to set up – this possibility was never mentioned (like the fail to mention the 2 year commitment). All in all I am not a fan. I am contemplating coughing up the 440.00 penalty and going back to Time Warner.

July 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm
(39) Jeanne W. says:

I can say that Direct TV is the absolute worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with: misleading information in their written ads and the rudest customer service on the planet. We do have an HD tv but not because we care about the HD shows. It just happened to be an HD tv. We were never informed by Direct TV that we needed HD equipment to access all their FREE movies even though when the order was placed we said we were leaving Comcast because of all the movie reruns and they indicated in their ads that they offered thousands of free movies. Direct TV neither verbally nor in their written ads tell you that you must get their HD dish and receiver to get the free movies and pay more $$$ every month. In fact, their flyer indicates that the movies are part of the regular package. They then wanted $250 to change out the dish and box. The Viacom situation is another black mark against them. COMCAST, we’ll be back.

September 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(40) wall james says:

Amy… sit there and defend your crooked, misdirected, bait and switch, piece of crap thieving company ..we shouldn’t have to be a lawyer to be able to watch TV without being overcharged. You have to ask why is this info in small print. Do you understand the words forthright and clear? Assigning blame to honest customers because you run a shell game is ludicrous…

October 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(41) Tammy says:

I just found out looking at my bills for the past six months, that every time (about once or twice a month) we order an on-demand movie, Direct TV is charging my credit card, as well charging it to my bill. Now my husband says, “well, just get on the phone and talk to them about — maybe they (direct tv) doesn’t know it’s happening.” Yea right — like I am the only person this happening to. I HATE calling Direct TV and getting people overseas who cannot talk and understand English. The only thing they care about is getting their money. I still do not have my account listed with the correct installation address!

October 16, 2012 at 8:41 pm
(42) JOHN DUVAL says:

WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR DIRECT TV ,I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES MAN THAT I WOULD HAVE BETTER INTERNET AND TV PROGRAMS THAN WHAT I HAVE WITH COMCAST. OK I THOUGHT,BUT WHEN THEY FINISHED THE INSTALL I HAD NO INTERNET. WHEN I CALLED THE DIRECT TV THEY SAID THEY DO NOT SUPPLY INTERNET . I ASK THEM WHY , I WAS TOLD IT HAS TO BE BUNDLED WITH A CARRIER. I TOLD THEM IF THEY DID NOT SUPPLY INTERNET THEY VOIDED MY CONTRACT WITH DIRECT TV. AFTER SEVERAL DAYS OF ARGUING WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND FINDING OUT THAT THEY TOTALLY DISABLED MY COAX CABLING FOR THE INTERNET TO WHICH I PAID TO HAVE IT FIXED,I WAS LIABLE TO A CANCELLATION FEE, I ONLY HAD THE SERVICE FOR ONLY 24 HOURS, BUT I TOOK OVER A WEEK TO GET IT INSTALLED .I SENT BACK ALL THEIR STUFF, THAT HAS BEEN OVER 2 YEARS. I FEEL THAT I HAVE BEEN LIED TO ABOUT DIRECT TV, I HAVE BEEN IN COLLECTIONS SINCE. ALSO THE INSTALLER SAID WE SHOULD OF HAD INTERNET

October 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm
(43) catherine Hurd says:

A representative from Direct TV came to my door and stated the signal in my area was weak and I should change to direct TV. He said I would be getting a better procuct for less money. He went over the paperwork with me explaining and answering my questions over every point. His sales tactics were inaccurate. There were many service and usage problems, the bill kept changing, a credit denied was billed and I did not use credit, I did not get chanals, items I did not need were instaled, iItems stated to be free were not free and I did not need or know how to use those items, I and my assestant made many calls with problems and more billing problems occured. I did not get the product or service I was promised, block outs kept occuring, I was constantly stressed by product and treatment. Now they want to chage me for cancelling a product and service I actually never recieved. Dishonesty about terms, service, prices, programing, product,and more are unfair and have been harmful to my health do to stress in trying to work with them. I need to join a class action suit and need assistance in doing so. Any suposed contract was voided by direct as they seriously did not live up to there part. I do not feel I should have to pay a cancelation fee.

December 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm
(44) Linda Hilburn says:

I changed from Cox Cable to Direct TV because I was told the reception was much better. I changed to Direct and applied for the $100.00 and I also changed my mother to Direct. We were both supposed to get the $100.00 for joining which they said that I did not do it right. I did exactly as I was told to do and they never gave either one of us the $100.00. They called me the other day to get me to renew the contract that ends in February. I told the caller what had happened and he apologized profusely and said he could refund each of us $15.00 each. I told him what he could do with the $15.00 and that they had lied to me and it was very evident that I had a two year contract and they advertised all the time about the $100.00 rebate. Also, when I had the contract about two months I received a call and the girl said it was mandatory I give her my acct number and set up automatic payment. I informed her that I would be paying my own bills and did not intend to set up automatic payment and that if she insisted she would be speaking to my attorney. She backed off then. After reading all the comments above I now know why she wanted me to set up automatic payments. Its hard to believe they can still be in business knowing what poor customer service they offer. I am going back to Cox Cable they were always good to us and will never change from them again. Thy always treated me with respect and did what they said they would do. I still have Cox Internet Service and I am very very satisfed with their service which I have had with NO COMPLAINTS after appx 8 years.

February 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm
(45) Ana Villarreal says:

i had been with DirecTV since 2008. During 2011 and 2012, they signed me up for the sports package which I did not ask for and cost me an additional $40.00 a month. I was laid off from my job in 2011 and was receiving unemployment, so an extra $40.00 a month was tough. When I called each time to have the package taken off, I was told that I had a certain amount of time to decline it, otherwise I was stuck with paying for it for an entire year. No amount of arguing on my part could get them to discontinue the package. Their argument was that I should have looked at the itemized part of the bill. I paid my bill online – looking only at my bill amount and paid for it. My belief is that DirecTV is scamming us dummies by throwing that sports package in there with the hopes that we don’t read the itemized bill and won’t notice. Yes, it’s my fault for not reading the itemized billing, but after 4 years, I stupidly trusted DirecTV and just made my monthly payments.
Anyway, to sum it up, because I couldn’t afford the $100.00+ payments, I was disconnected. They now say I owe for the receivers/remotes and early contract termination. Excuse me, I was with them for over 4 years and told them so. But according to the nasty rep I spoke with, I had a new contract when I moved to a different location. After all was said and done, she told me to have a nice day and hung up on me. I SO WANT TO GET IN ON THIS LAWSUIT!!

June 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm
(46) Stacey says:

I have the best programming Direct TV has to offer and I pay a prime rate for this service. One of my genie receivers started giving me trouble about 6 months into my 2 year contract. After being on the phone for over 2 hours per call many times they decided to send out a service tech. That is when she told me I had to pay for the service call and any equipment needed to repair the service. I stated I have the $7.99 a month protection plan, she responded that will reduce the service call to $0 but I would still need to pay for any equipment (average cost 100.00+). She also said the service calls are only 8 am to noon or noon to 4pm mon- fri. Now let me get this straight I pay for a service, I pay for the equipment and I pay for the protection plan each month totaling well over $200.00 but yet it covers nothing. In addition my time away from work, time spent on the phone have no value and if I want out I have to pay! This sounds like a completely one sided game and the only looser is me! They need to pay or make some serious changes, how do I complain to the right people?

August 28, 2013 at 2:44 am
(47) Cory says:

DirecTV is accusing my business of illegal use of their system and claiming a restaurant is listed as a private office space. They wait 4 months after I’ve been paying my bill every month with a lawyer coming undercover and taking a picture of my tv playing and tell me it will cost 10,000 in court or settle for 7,000 over the phone . Than they shut the power off to my receiver and tell me at the company just deal with the lawyer I’m not a customer anymore. Now I need to hire a lawyer to call them to speak for me.
I have never seen so many people get screwed by one company and this country just keeps letting it happen. Wake up people and be as loud as you can about corporate giants bullying the hard working people in America.

September 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm
(48) David Jones says:

In August, we took advantage of a DirecTV offer for a free upgrade. However, we started getting a charge for “Whole-Home DVR.” This does not apply to us as we only have one TV. I have had to call in every month to get them to reverse the charge. Any class-action activity related to this?

September 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm
(49) hometheater says:

The best thing to do is to contact your State’s Attorney General Office or Consumer Affairs Office regarding any class action lawsuits that may be pending either from government or private sources. You can also contact your city or county DA or consumer affairs offices to see if there is anything local.

Robert Silva
hometheater@aboutguide.com

October 2, 2013 at 11:13 am
(50) Lester says:

I have been a direcTV customer for over 10 years now and I have been a victim of the rate increases, mystery false charges, sports package renewals that I specifically asked them not to renew, and having to replace defective receivers. I put up with it because I had no good cable option and I love NFL sunday ticket. But I was just blow away by what they did next. Now I work on ships out at sea and sometimes I am away for months at a time. My family emailed me saying the service my off. So I checked to see if the bill was paid and up to date. It was, so I emailed them about it thinking they had made a mistake. But they refused to reactivate my account or tell me the problem until they spoke to me over the phone. Even after I told them it would be over a week before I could call. So when I finally was able to call some bad attitude guy named Mike “DIRECTV Resolution Specialist” told me that because my receivers were not at the address they had on file they needed to send someone to check them out and I would charged for this. Now it has been over 10 years since I got their service I have moved several times so I just set up the receivers at my new home every time. I am very handle I do not need their assistance. Now unless they have some state secrets locked away in those receivers that I don’t know about I just don’t get it. This was the last straw or me! I am playing them over $250.00 monthly and they do this.

October 23, 2013 at 3:10 pm
(51) Manuel D says:

I cancelled my Directv account back in August 2013 with a zero balance . Two months later in October 2013, they debit my checking account $4.99. Electronically took it out of my checking account. I called the office and the representative tells me that it was for a pay-per-view back in 2009! They would not reverse the charge. Reported it to my bank as an unauthorized charge. It’s under investigation.

January 1, 2014 at 1:41 am
(52) Roger says:

After reading some of the comments on this board which one item stuck out. DirecTV will not start service unless you give them a CC number which is placed on file to charge your account. Well folks this is how they get away with what I call “legal fraud” and in doing so they will add additional service to your account and not tell you and of course, your bill will increase dramatically. I called them about the increase of which they said it’s in the contract – never ever received a contract. Therefore, I changed/canceled the CC and had a new one issued but never notified Direct. During that period, charges were willy-nilly! The morel of the story is; never ever give them your CC number! They stopped the service which was fine with me – I got them by the shorthair.
A good friend of mine in our state Attorney General of which he informed me that forty-nine other states AG’s have filed injunctions against them, one state just settled. Direct is a dirty company but what would expect when Rupert Murdock is invested with them.

January 4, 2014 at 6:17 pm
(53) Dot says:

I was thinking about getting rid of cable and getting Direct Tv but after reading all the comments I won’t be doing that.

January 28, 2014 at 11:03 am
(54) Stacey says:

As of January 2014 they haven’t changed a thing. They didn’t send the promised boxes to my friend to return his equipment and rather than calling to check with him they used the card he made a one time payment from and stole $300 from his bank account while he waited for the boxes. They are now playing the “we will give it back some day, sorry for the “error”" game, in the mean time he has checks bouncing and rent due. They did correct their error in not sending the return boxes, how nice of them.
They know people won’t do a single thing about it when they steal from them, and thanks to that one time payment, the banks won’t do anything either.
Good ol’ Corporate States of America, we the people don’t matter.

February 6, 2014 at 10:15 pm
(55) MIchael says:

Got royally screwed from direct tv after a third party they use to make offers offered me a genie box to renew and then they renewed me at a higher rate to cover the discounts, he tells me the genie box can do things it cant do and direct just say sorry you can always downsize your package to save money, these people are first class crooks, run the other way

March 21, 2014 at 8:20 pm
(56) ray whitman says:

They charge me for things I didnt want. Automatic payments and they still charge for late fees. Mislead me on channel line up. Increased billing without notice the second month of service. Who do I talk to about this?

March 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm
(57) hometheater says:

At this stage, the best thing to do is to contact your local district attorney’s office and or your State’s Attorney General’s office and ask if they have a consumer affairs department – also, it doesn’t hurt to contact your local TV stations and see if they have a consumer affairs reporter.

However, make sure you have read your DirecTV contract to make sure you might have a case.

April 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm
(58) jimmy says:

Mcdonalds cheated me out of a order of fries should i take them to court………….lol lets get real read your contract BEFORE signing anything before they install anything, im a installer and i had to leave customers houses because they didnt want to sign a contract, new installs 2 yr contract if you break the contract $20 per month for each month remaining on the contract if you dont return the boxes when told to, you also will pay for the boxes, if you upgrade add another box or upgrade to a advance boxes 12 month contract, NOTHING is ever free HD or dvr service also cost, read ALL things before signing anything.