1. Computing

Robert Silva

Roku Announces Streaming Stick Media Player Solution - UPDATED

By September 20, 2012

Are you tired of having to connect all those extra set-top boxes to your TV and home theater system to access TV shows and movies from cable, satellite, and the internet? If so, then check this out. Roku has announced a forthcoming product that it refers to as a "Streaming Stick".

About the size of a normal flash drive, but instead of a USB connection, the Streaming Stick has an HDMI connection that can plug into an MHL-enabled HDMI port that is becoming available on a number of new TVs. In other words, you just can't plug it into any TV with an HDMI port - which is a bummer, as that would have been a really great way to add internet streaming capabilities to older HDMI-equipped TVs.

For those that are able to connect the Streaming Stick, it has built-in WiFi and the needed hardware and firmware that allows navigation of the Roku user interface and access to an abundance of online streaming content without the need for an additional set-top box. For more details on why this may be a game changer for internet streaming access for many consumers, read the official announcement from Roku (pdf view or download). Photo Roku

UPDATE 8/1/2012: Roku Announces Streaming Stick Partners (pdf view or download)

UPDATE 9/20/2012: Roku Announces $99 Price, October 2012 Availability, and compatible TVs for Streaming Stick (pdf view or download)

UPDATE 1/18/13: Roku Streaming Stick Ready TVs and TV Antenna Exhibited at 2013 CES

UPDATE 3/4/14: Roku Announces New Version Streaming Stick That Can Be Connected To Any TV With a Standard HDMI Input (no MHL-compatibility Required).

For additional details on the Roku Streaming stick, including a look at the onscreen menu interface, check out the Official Product Page - Compare Prices.

Follow Me On Twitter and Facebook

Comments
March 6, 2013 at 8:28 am
(1) JTaylor says:

and I present to you the miniand and all it siblings….bring the power of android to your tv….https://www.miniand.com/
everything this can do and more. oh and opensource based as well.

March 6, 2013 at 8:32 am
(2) JTaylor says:

Actually, as i look at this more closely…it’s amazing how closely it resembles a few of the mini android sticks…bet that is all it is with a Roku rewritten firmware.

March 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm
(3) http://josiahgreendalelp211.blogbaker.com says:

I really like what you guys are usually up too. This
sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

April 14, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(4) louis vuitton speedy 30 says:

You’re so awesome! I don’t believe I’ve read through a single thing like that before. So wonderful to find someone with genuine thoughts on this topic. Really.. thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality!

April 15, 2013 at 12:22 am
(5) Green Coffee Cleanse says:

Hi every one, here every one is sharing such knowledge,
thus it’s pleasant to read this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this webpage all the time.

April 16, 2013 at 5:58 am
(6) Vented propane heater says:

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share
some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

May 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm
(7) anti cellulite treatment says:

Hey there! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I needed to ask.

Does running a well-established blog such as yours
require a lot of work? I’m completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary everyday. I’d
like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and views online.
Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations
or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!