Here is a basic step-by-step guide to editing out unwanted camcorder footage by just using a camcorder and VCR.
Difficulty Level: Average Time Required: Varies
- Plug your Camcorder into your VCR by connecting it to the VCR's AV Jacks, turn on the VCR, and set the input select on the VCR to Line or AV Input.
- Turn on the TV, Camcorder
- Put your Camcorder tape in the Camcorder and press Play, activate the camcorder's counter display so you can see the tape time on the TV screen.
- With a notepad and pencil, jot down the times of sections you wish to include in your tape and sections you wish to delete (you may need to do this several times--also remember the visual cues as well as the time).
- Rewind camcorder tape back to the beginning
- Put a blank tape in the VCR
- Cue up the Camcorder in the Play Pause mode where you want to begin.
- Cue up the VCR in the Record/Pause mode where you want it to begin recording.
- Release the Record/Pause function on the VCR to start the recording process.
- Release the Play/Pause function the Camcorder to starting recording your first segment on the VCR.
- Put the VCR in Record/Pause upon completion of the first segment.
- Fast forward the camcorder tape to the next segment while the VCR is in the Record/Pause mode
- Repeat steps 7 thru 12 unitl your tape is complete.
- When finished rewind the camcorder tape, remove tape from the camcorder and turn it off.
- Rewind the edited VCR tape, replay it, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- Block out an afternoon or evening to this project, take breaks if tired.
- have plently of notepaper.
- Use a four head VCR if possible (one with Flying Erase Heads will give best result), always set on SP recording speed for best quality result.
- Video Editing Netlinks.
- Basic Video Editing: Concepts and Tools
- Garage Video
- VCR Netlinks
- Camcorder Netlinks