1. 7.2 channel home theater receiver (7 channels plus 2 subwoofer outs) delivering 100 Watts into 7 channels at .08% THD (measured with 2 channels driven).
2. Audio Decoding: Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1/EX/Pro logic IIx, DTS 5.1/ES, 96/24, Neo:6.
4. Audio Inputs (Analog): 5 Stereo Analog.
6. Audio Outputs (Excluding HDMI): 1 Set - Analog Stereo, One set - Zone 2 Analog Stereo Pre-outs and 2 Subwoofer Pre-outs.
7. Speaker connection options for Front Height/Surround Back/Bi-amp and Powered Zone 2 provided. One set of Zone 2 line audio outputs (requires additional amp/speakers for operation).
9. Video Outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 Component Video, 2 Composite Video.
10. Analog to HDMI video conversion (480i to 480p) and 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K via upscaling using Marvell QDEO processing. HDMI pass-through of native 1080p and 3D signals.
11. Audyssey 2EQ automatic speaker setup system. By connecting the provided microphone, Audyssey 2EQ uses a series of test tones to determine the proper speaker levels, based on how it reads the speaker placement in relation to the acoustical properties of your room.
12. 40 Preset AM/FM/HD Radio-Ready (accessory module required) Tuner.
15. DLNA Certified for access to digital media files stored on PCs, Media Servers, and other compatible network-connected devices.
16. Windows 7 Compatible.
17. USB Connection for access to audio files stored on flash drives or for use of the previously mentioned optional USB Wireless Internet Adapter.
18. iPod/iPhone connectivity/control via front USB port or optional docking station. Rear mounted docking port provided.
20. One RI connection for control of additional connected compatible device.
Additional Components Used In This Review
DVD Player: OPPO DV-980H.
Loudspeaker/Subwoofer System 2 (5.1 channels): KEF T205 5.1 Channel Speaker System (on review loan)
DVDO EDGE Video Scaler used for baseline video upscaling comparisons.
Level checks made using a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter
2D Blu-ray Discs: Across The Universe, Battle Los Angeles, Hairspray, Inception, Iron Man 1&2, Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Shakira - Oral Fixation Tour, The Dark Knight, The Expendables, The Incredibles and Transporter 3
Standard DVDs used included scenes from the following: The Cave, House of the Flying Daggers, Kill Bill - Vol 1/2, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut), Lord of Rings Trilogy, Master and Commander, Outlander, U571, and V For Vendetta.
CDs: Al Stewart - Sparks of Ancient Light, Beatles - LOVE, Blue Man Group - The Complex, Joshua Bell - Bernstein - West Side Story Suite, Eric Kunzel - 1812 Overture, HEART - Dreamboat Annie, Lisa Loeb - Firecracker, Nora Jones - Come Away With Me, Sade - Soldier of Love.
DVD-Audio discs included: Queen - Night At The Opera/The Game, Eagles - Hotel California, and Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Uninvisible, Sheila Nicholls - Wake.
SACD discs used included: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Steely Dan - Gaucho, The Who - Tommy.
The core purpose of any home theater receiver is the hoped-for ability to provide power and audio processing for your speakers and room size. For its price class, the Onkyo HT-RC360 does pretty well. The HT-RC360 reproduced decoded and processed surround sound accurately from both analog and digital sources in both 5.1 and 7.1 channel setups. The HT-RC360 also provided good stability during very dynamic audio tracks and delivered a sustained output (suitable for a small or medium size room) over long periods of time without eliciting listening fatigue.
However, having a front height channel option does give consumers added flexibility in speaker setup. Depending on the room, the rest of the speaker layout, and using source material that lends itself for height channel enhancement, the Pro Logic IIz/Audyssey DSX may be a viable option for you. Keep in mind there are no Blu-ray or DVD soundtracks specifically mixed for front height channels, but there are some scenes, such as the battle scene in Master and Commander where there is a brief moment where deck hands are scrambling on the deck above the screen action as well as numerous scenes with rain and plane or helicopter flyovers can yield good results.
One important thing to keep in mind is that because the HT-RC360 is a 7 channel receiver, if you want to take advantage of either Dolby Prologic IIz or Audyssey DSX processing, you will have to forgo a setup that includes surround back channels.