2. Audio Decoding: Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1/EX/Pro logic IIx, DTS 5.1/ES, 96/24, Neo:6.
4. Audio Inputs (Analog): 7 Stereo Analog, 1 dedicated stereo Phono input, 1 set of 7.1 Channel Analog Audio inputs.
6. Audio Outputs (Excluding HDMI): 1 Set - Analog Stereo, One set - Zone 2 Analog Stereo Pre-outs, 1 Set - 7 Channel Analog Pre-outs, and 2 Subwoofer Pre-outs.
7. Speaker connection options for Bi-amp, Surround Back, and Powered Zone 2 speaker provided. Certified for 4 ohm operation.
9. Video Outputs: 1 HDMI, 1 Component Video, 2 Composite Video, 2 S-Video.
10. Analog to HDMI video conversion (480i to 480p) and upscaling from 480p to 1080p via HDMI using Faroudja DCDi Cinema processing. HDMI pass-through of native 1080p and 3D signals.
11. Inclusion of Audyssey MulitEQ automatic speaker setup system.
14. DLNA Certified for access to digital media stored on PCs, Media Servers, and compatible network-connected devices.
15. Windows 7 Compatible.
16. USB port for accessing flash drive stored audio files.
17. iPod/iPhone connectivity/control via USB (audio only with USB) or optional docking station (audio, video, photo access). Rear mounted docking port connection.
For an additional up-close, physical, look at the features and connections of the TX-NR708, check out my Photo Gallery.
Zone 2 Option
The TX-NR708 allows for connection and operation of a 2nd Zone. This allows a second source signal to speakers or a separate audio system in another location. This is not the same as just connecting additional speakers and placing them in another room.
The Zone 2 function allows control of either the same, or separate, source than the one being listened to in the main room, in another location. For example, the user can be watching a Blu-ray Disc or DVD movie with surround sound in the main room, while someone else can listen to a CD Player in another room, at the same time. Both the Blu-ray Disc or DVD player and CD player are connected to the same Receiver, but are accessed and controlled separately using the same main Receiver.
The Onkyo TX-NR708 is 3D Compatible. This receiver will HDMI will detect 3D source signals automatically and pass them through to a 3D-enabled TV without further processing.
Audio Return Channel
For example, if you receive your TV signals over the air, the audio from those signals goes directly to your TV. Ordinarily to get the audio from those signals to your Home Theater receiver, you would have to connect an extra cable from the TV to the home theater receiver for this purpose. However, with audio return channel, you can simply take advantage of the cable you already have connected between the TV and the home theater receiver to transfer audio in both directions.
3D Blu-ray Disc Player: Samsung BD-C7900
Blu-ray Disc Player: OPPO BDP-83 Universal Player (BD/DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio)
DVD Player: OPPO DV-980H (DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-Audio).
Loudspeaker/Subwoofer System 2 (5.1 channels): EMP Tek E5Ci center channel speaker, four E5Bi compact bookshelf speakers for left and right main and surrounds, and an ES10i 100 watt powered subwoofer.
3D Glasses: Toshiba FTP-AG01U Active Shutter 3D LCD Glasses
High Speed HDMI Cables provided by Atlona for this review. 16 Gauge Speaker Wire used.
Level checks made using a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter
The software used in this review included the following titles:
3D Blu-ray Discs: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Disney's A Christmas Carol, Goldberg Variations Acoustica, Monster House, My Bloody Valentine, Space Station, and Under The Sea.
2D Blu-ray Discs: Across The Universe, Avatar, Hairspray, Iron Man 1&2, Kick Ass, Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Shakira - Oral Fixation Tour, Sherlock Holmes, The Expendables, The Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, and Transporter 3
Standard DVDs used included scenes from the following: The Cave, House of the Flying Daggers, Kill Bill - Vol 1/2, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut), Lord of Rings Trilogy, Master and Commander, Outlander, U571, and V For Vendetta.
CDs: Al Stewart - Sparks of Ancient Light, Beatles - LOVE, Blue Man Group - The Complex, Joshua Bell - Bernstein - West Side Story Suite, Eric Kunzel - 1812 Overture, HEART - Dreamboat Annie, Lisa Loeb - Firecracker, Nora Jones - Come Away With Me, Sade - Soldier of Love.
DVD-Audio discs included: Queen - Night At The Opera/The Game, Eagles - Hotel California, and Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Uninvisible, Sheila Nicholls - Wake.
SACD discs used included: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Steely Dan - Gaucho, The Who - Tommy.
Proceed to Page 2: Evaluation and Final Take