The Bottom Line
- Excellent audio performance, extensive surround sound settings.
- Four HDMI inputs and front USB port (for iPod and Flash Drive content).
- MCACC speaker setup system works very well.
- Built-in Fan in addition to heat sinks helps keep receiver from running too hot.
- Large front Panel LED display.
- Below average video upscaling performance.
- No HDMI input on front panel.
- No S-video Connections.
- Complicated to use for the novice - Remote control has small buttons.
- No dedicated phono turntable input connection.
- 7.1 channel home theater receiver rated at 120 Watts x 7 (1Hz) at .05% THD.
- Audio Decoding: Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital 5.1/EX/Prologic IIx, DTS 5.1/ES, 96/24, Neo:6.
- Audio inputs: 6 Stereo Analog, 2 Digital Optical, 2 Digital Coaxial.
- 6 additional input jacks for discrete multi-channel input. Can be used for accessing SACD, DVD-Audio, or external decoder.
- One set of stereo analog outputs for Zone 2 operation (additional amplifier and speakers required with this option).
- Video Inputs: 4 HDMI, 2 Component, 3 Composite. One set of AV inputs are mounted on front panel.
- Analog to HDMI video conversion (480i to 480p) and upscaling from 480p to 1080p via HDMI. HDMI pass-through of 1080p sources.
- Standard AM/FM tuner, as well as Sirius Satellite Raio connectivity (Subscription and optional tuner/antenna are required).
- Front mounted USB port for iPod, iPhone, and Flash Drive connection. iPod menu navigation/file access via receiver remote.
- MCACC automatic speaker setup. Manual override available. Wireless remote and onscreen menu setup and navigation system.
Guide Review - Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K Home Theater Receiver - Short Review
With the VSX-1019AH-K, Pioneer has incorporated such features as four HDMI video inputs, HDMI video and audio switching with analog-to-HDMI video conversion and 1080p upscaling, advanced HDMI audio capabilities, iPOD compatibility, and both XM and Sirius satellite radio.
Having had a chance to get a hands-on with the receiver, I can say that it performs its primary role very well, providing a satisfying listening experience from both movie and music source material.
The VSX-1019AH-K offers convenient and abundant features. One of my favorite features is the front mounted USB port for connecting an iPod. In addition, the MCACC automatic speaker setup system provides fairly accurate results.
This is one of the least expensive receivers to offer 1080p upscaling. However, I found this aspect of this receiver's performance to be disappointing. For full details, check out my suppplmentary Video Performance Test Gallery.
In addition, while you should always place a home theater in an setup that allows good air circulation, the VSX-1019AH-K gets warm, but does not get hot after hours of operation. Pioneer made a wise decision to include a built-in fan in addition to large heat sinks.
In terms of audio performance and features, this home theater receiver definitely deserves attention. But you are better offering using a good upscaling DVD player or a Blu-ray Disc player with good DVD upscaling, rather than relying on the upscaling ability of the VSX-1019HA-K.
The Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K has a suggested retail price of $499, but may be found lower: Compare Prices.