11. Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy
Give your home theater system a real workout with some great Dinosaur fun. The Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu-ray Disc package is a perfect addition to your Blu-ray disc library. The Ultimate Trilogy package includes restored full high definition 1080p video, and remastered 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks, for all three films in the series (Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, and Jurassic Park III), and hours of great supplementary material to satisfy any die-hard fan.
Review - read my review.
NOTE: There is also a Blu-ray Disc Limited Edition Trilogy Gift Set version available that also includes a Tyrannosaurus Rex statue (the compare prices link below features both sets).
After years of waiting, Jaws has now finally arrived on Blu-ray, and it was definitely worth the weight. The Steven Spielberg classic is presented in a two-disc package which contains both Blu-ray and DVD versions of the film, along with access to standard and Ultraviolet digital copies.
The video and audio have been meticulously remastered and transfered to Blu-ray that results in a home theater viewing expeience that superior that the original theatrical presentation.
In addition, the Blu-ray disc serves up an abundance of relevant bonus features that takes through the entire history of Jaws, from the beginnings of the novel, through the uncertaintly as to if the film would ever be successfully made, to its landmark as the first true Summer blockbuster, to how it is still celebrated today.
13. Marvel's The AvengersEven if you are not a comic book fan, you have to experience Marvel's The Avengers on your home theater system. The video and quality of this disc is top notch - especially if you have a set that reproduces black levels well. On the audio side, your speakers and subwoofer will definitely get a great workout with well-executed surround effects and driving bass.
The Blu-ray the disc is available in both 2D and 3D, however, the 3D version does have some instances of crosstalk (minimized on sets that use the passive 3D viewing system).
Also, if you are fan of bonus features there are plenty for you to dig into, including a short film (preview clip) introducing some new characters for possible future TV series or film.
Vendor's Site - Target Exclusive: Extra 90-minute Bonus Disc available for both the Blu-ray 3D/2D/DVD combo pack.
14. The IncrediblesThe Incredibles is simply "incredible". Pixar not only deftly weaves a multi-layered commentary on life, achievement, and responsibility, but delivers the whole thing in a form that appeals to all members of the family. Of course, the added bonus is that the Blu-ray edition will knock your socks off with its 2.40 widescreen high-def transfer and excellent DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 channel audio track.
15. Quiksilver - Art of Flight
If you are looking for a great Blu-ray Disc that really shows off your system, you have to get The Art of Flight. Filmed over a period of two years in locations around the world, the Art of Flight is a thrill-a-minute movie that follows world-champion snow boarders challenging the imposing and dangerous mountain ranges.
Filmed in HD video and mastered using Dolby's Professional Reference Monitor, this disc is one of the best visual experiences I have seen on a TV screen. The detail, color, and depth are spectacular. In fact, the depth is so good, you swear you are watching 3D. Also, it is not just the video that makes this disc great, the audio is superbly mastered Dolby TrueHD 7.1 with very active surround channels.
Even if you are not a snowboarding fan, when you put this disc in your Blu-ray player, you will be drawn into the incredible journey and perils faced by the participants in this film. You will definitely come away with a greater appreciation of snowboarding, as well as how good Blu-ray can look and sound.
Art of Flight Movie Website and a Video Preview - Compare Prices.
16. Star Trek (2009)Just about everyone likes Star Trek, but let's face it, it was aging franchise, that is, until JJ Abrams arrived. Even if you are not a Star Trek fan, this movie delivers on all cylinders, from the opening battle to the ending that bridges the classic with the new. The 2.40:1 aspect ratio widescreen transfer presents an epic adventure the way it deserves to be presented. As far audio goes, the soundtrack is a great example how to balance sound. The dialog is not lost on the effects and the effects a well layered and realistic. In all, this disc makes for a great home theater demo.
17. Transporter 3
Why is Transporter 3 on this list? OK, it is not what I would consider a classic or groundbreaking in terms of filmmaking. It is simply one good roller-coaster ride of an action movie. However, the reason I have this movie on this list is that it is great example of how well Blu-ray Disc can render color and detail. The prime example of good detail reproduction are the scenes that feature close-ups of Jason Statham and Natalya Rudakova. Ms Rudakova has a very freckled face and the detail is so good, you can easily see the individual freckles.
Even if you are not a fan of high-octane action movies with lots of hand-to-hand combat, this disc is worth having on the shelf just to impress on your friends what they are missing by not having Blu-ray. If anyone tells you that there isn't any difference between DVD and Blu-ray, this is one disc that will shut them up.
18. Iron ManIron Man is one great fun movie. Even if you are not a fan of comic-book films, you will like this one. It is one of a select group of films that really makes you want to cheer for the hero. Robert Downey Jr. pulls this one off with style. In addition, the audio and video on this Blu-ray Disc release will also make you want to cheer. The 2.40:1 aspect ratio captures the film's scope perfectly, and the color and detail are definitely demo quality. Of course, in this type of film, you need great sound, and Iron Man really, really, delivers great surround sound.
19. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
The Transformers movie franchise is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, the movies are long, the action is never-ending, and sometimes it is hard to follow who is fighting who (or, in this case, what is fighting what)...However, all that aside, the latest installment: Transformers: Dark of the Moon is both a visual feast and has one the most effective surround sound tracks I have heard, which earns it a place on this list of top Blu-ray Discs that put your home theater system to the test.
This film takes full advantage of its 7.1 Channel Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, starting from the opening titles. There is liberal use of the surround channels that really helps to immerse you into the film. I am sure that was part of the concept, as the film was present theatrically in 3D and the heavy surround channel use would definitely add to a 3D viewing experience.
Unfortunately, this initial Blu-ray release is only available in 2D, but I am looking forward to the forthcoming 3D Blu-ray release to find out how well the surround activity really does mesh with the 3D visuals. However, that aside, Transformers: Dark of the Moon on 2D Blu-ray is definitely worth it, if you want to hear how well surround can be executed.Compare Prices
20. MegamindAlthough Megamind is not that impressive with regards to story line, and the video transfer to Blu-ray is not exceptional, this disc is still worth your consideration, especially if you have a 7.1 channel surround sound system. Megamind is the first Blu-ray Disc release to incorporate a full 7.1 Channel encoded soundtrack in the Dolby TrueHD surround sound format. So, if you have a Blu-ray Disc player and a 7.1 channel home theater receiver with Dolby TrueHD decoding, or a Blu-ray Disc player and home theater receiver with 7.1 channel analog audio connections, you are in for a real surround sound treat. NOTE: This entry refers to the 2D version of the film, the 3D version will be released on Blu-ray at a later date.