Blu-ray Disc Format
3D Blu-ray Disc Playback
The OPPO BDP-93 complies with the adopted 3D for Blu-ray Disc standard. This means that the Blu-ray Disc player is able to deliver two simultaneous 1080p signals (one 1080p signal for each eye). In order to do this, the Blu-ray Disc play must employ a new version of HDMI (ver1.4a) that is able to transfer this signal. Of course, on the receiving end, it is required that the TV must be able to receive and process this signal, which will also require that the TV also be HDMI ver1.4a equipped.
The OPPO BDP-93 can also upscale standard DVDs to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p to your HDTV, via HDMI.
720p is 1,280 pixels displayed across the screen horizontally and 720 pixels down the screen vertically. This yields 720 horizontal rows on the screen, displayed progressively (one after the other).
1080i represents 1,920 pixels displayed across a screen horizontally and 1,080 pixels down a screen vertically. This yields 1,080 horizontal pixel rows, which are, displayed alternately (all odd rows are displayed, followed by all even rows).
1080p represents the same pixel resolution as 1080i, however, the rows are displayed progressively, rather than alternately, providing a better visual look. Check out more details on 1080p.
Why DVD Upscaling is Important
OPPO BDP-93 Product Features
4. High definition video outputs include: Two HDMI outputs, either of which can be used for 2D and 3D Blu-ray Disc playback. Both HDMI outputs are adaptable to DVI-HDCP video output compatibility with adapter (2D only output using DVI).
6. Besides audio output via two HDMI outputs, additional audio output options include: Digital Optical, Digital Coaxial, and a set of 7.1 Channel analog audio outputs (the front left/right analog outputs can also be used for two-channel only output, if desired in place of using the 5.1/7.1 channel analog output option).
8. On-board adjustments are provided for Sharpness/Contrast/Brightness/Saturation as well as video processing/scaling adjustments for Edge Enhancement and Noise Reduction. It is important to note that the video adjustment setting options provided for the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs are slightly different, due to the use of separate video processing chips for each HDMI output.
10. Video processing/upscaling for HDMI 1 is provided by a Marvell Kyoto-G2 Qdeo 88DE2750 chip. Video processing and scaling for HDMI 2 is provided by onboard OPPO video scaling chip made by Mediatek.
11. Network/Internet Connectivity via Ethernet or provided USB WiFi adapter. Access is provided to Netflix and BLOCKBUSTER On Demand streaming services as well as media files stored on network connected devices, such as Media Servers and PCs. NOTE: Since this review was first posted, OPPO has added Film Fresh and Vudu to its internet streaming offerings.
12. Front and Rear mounted USB 2.0 ports for digital photo, video, and music content access via flash drive are also provided.
13. 2GB of total internal memory. 1GB provided for access to BD-Live functions. However, memory capacity can be expanded via flash drive if desired using one of the two USB ports.
14. eSATA Port for access to media files stored on large external hard drives.
15. RS232 and IR port connections for custom installation needs.
16. A Wireless Infrared Backlit Remote Control and full color high definition onscreen GUI (Graphical User Interface) is provided for easy setup and function access. The onscreen menu is both extensive, but easy to navigate.
For an additional look at the features and connections of the BDP-93, check out my supplementary Photo Profile.
Additional Source for 2D Blu-ray comparison: OPPO BDP-83.
Loudspeaker/Subwoofer System 2 (5.1 channels): EMP Tek E5Ci center channel speaker, four E5Bi compact bookshelf speakers for left and right main and surrounds, and an ES10i 100 watt powered subwoofer.
Video Projector (2D and 3D): Sharp XV-Z17000 DLP projector (on review loan from Sharp).
DVDO EDGE Video Scaler used for baseline video upscaling comparisons.
Level checks made using a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter
3D Blu-ray Discs: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Despicable Me, Disney's A Christmas Carol, Goldberg Variations Acoustica, Monster House, My Bloody Valentine, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Space Station (IMAX), and Under The Sea (IMAX).
2D Blu-ray Discs: Across The Universe, Avatar (2D), Hairspray, Iron Man 1&2, Kick Ass, Megamind, Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Shakira - Oral Fixation Tour, Sherlock Holmes, The Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, and Transporter 3
Standard DVDs: The Cave, House of the Flying Daggers, Kill Bill - Vol 1/2, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut), Lord of Rings Trilogy, Master and Commander, Outlander, U571, and V For Vendetta.
CDs: Al Stewart - Sparks of Ancient Light, Beatles - LOVE, Blue Man Group - The Complex, Joshua Bell - Bernstein - West Side Story Suite, Eric Kunzel - 1812 Overture, HEART - Dreamboat Annie, Lisa Loeb - Firecracker, Nora Jones - Come Away With Me, Sade - Soldier of Love.
DVD-Audio discs included: Queen - Night At The Opera/The Game, Eagles - Hotel California, and Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Uninvisible, Sheila Nicholls - Wake.
SACD discs used included: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Steely Dan - Gaucho, The Who - Tommy.
Proceed to Page 2: 2D/3D Video Performance, Audio Performance, and Final Take