DVD Recording Overview
A DVD recorder can be used to copy any homemade videos, such as camcorder videos and videos made from TV shows, and can also copy Laserdiscs, and other non-copyguarded video material.
However, just as you can't copy commercially made video tapes to another VCR due to Macrovision anti-copy encoding, the same applies to making copies to DVD. DVD recorders cannot bypass the anti-copy signal on commercial VHS tapes or DVDs. If a DVD recorder detects the anti-copy encoding on a commercial DVD it will not start the recording and display some sort of message either on screen or on its LED front panel display that it detects the anti-copy code or that it is detecting an unusable signal.
For more complete info about DVD recording, check out my DVD Recorder FAQs before continuing on with this review.
Presidian PDR-3222 Product Overview
Other features include:
1. Front and Rear Panel Composite video and analog audio inputs.
2. Front Panel DV Input for Digital Camcorders.
3. Built-in TV tuner either over-the-air or cable TV recording with an easy onscreen programming menu. However, the 3222 does not feature independent cable box or satellite box control.
4. Standard DVD/CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3-CD/WMA/VCD playback.
5. Composite video inputs and outputs as well as both analog and digital audio outputs.
6. Progressive Scan video output via component video connections.
7/ Wireless Remote Control.
8. On-Screen Programming and Menu Setup Display.
9. Well-Illustrated Owner's Manual and Quick Start Guide
10. Bi-direction NTSC/PAL Conversion - Region Code Hackable via Remote.
A non-cable box cable TV connection was made to the RF input on the Presidian PDR-3222 for the recording of television programming.
A Pansonic PV-GS35 mini-DV camcorder used to test DV-input recording functions.
Pre-recorded DVDs for additional playback tests included scenes from the following: Kill Bill - Vol1/Vol2, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Chicago, Underworld, Passionada, Moulin Rouge, ED Wood, and The Mummy, as well as video content on DVD-R and DVD+RW discs recorded on other DVD recorders.
For audio only, various CDs included: HEART - Dreamboat Annie, Nora Jones: Come Away With Me, Lisa Loeb: Firecracker, Blue Man Group The Complex, Telarc: 1812 Overture. Also included: The Corrs: In Blue (Dolby Digital). In addition, music content on CD-R/RWs were also used.
Proceed to Page 2 - Testing and Conclusion