Want big sound but have little space? Check out some my favorite compact audio systems. No cheap boomboxes here, just great sound and flexibility. These units are perfect for the office, bedroom, apartment, or recreation room.
1. Samsung DA-E751 Vacuum Tube-Equipped Audio Dock
2. Voice Clarifying TV Speaker
Here is one of the products that have me saying "Why did I think of that?". The Voice Clarifying Speaker from Hammacher Schlemmer is specially designed to emphasize frequencies generally associated with the human voice. The system is very easy to set up. Just connect the provided wireless transmitter to a TV that is equipped with either analog or digital optical output connections, then place the TV speaker near your seating location (within 50 feet of the transmitter - line of sight), synch them up, and you are set to go.
This is a great product for those that are hard-of-hearing, or just have trouble hearing dialog over music and sound effects on TV programs or DVDs. The TV speaker even has two 3.5mm headphone connection outputs for late night private listening.
3. Yamaha MCR-B142 Micro Component System
4. Onkyo CS-355 Colibrino Bluetooth Mini-System
The Onkyo CS-355 is a compact system featuring a stylish exterior finish (you have a choice of red, white, or black). Inside the main unit there is a high current 15 WPC amplifier (measured at 1khz @ 6 ohms), 2-Way bass reflex loudspeakers featuring 3-inch midrange/woofer drivers and 3/4-inch tweeters, slot loading CD player, AM/FM Radio Tuner, and subwoofer preamp output. The Onkyo CS-355 also features a convenient front panel USB port for connecting iOS devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) and flash drives.
Additional features that make the CS-355 more flexible and easy-to-use are active bass control, which increases bass output at lower volume, line input for connection of analog audio sources, a headphone output that is great for late night or private listening, and a wireless remote control.
The big added bonus is that the CS-355 also includes wireless Bluetooth, which allows you to stream music wirelessly from a compatible smartphone or portable audio player to the system.
This system may be small but delivers great sound for home or office.
5. Yamaha MCR-232 Mini CD/iPod System
6. Denon D-M39S CD/FM/iPod Micro System
7. Chestnut Hill Sound - GEORGE Compact Audio System
GEORGE is a unique combination product that blends a compact audio system with full iPod connectivity and control. In addition to providing great room-filling sound from your iPod, GEORGE also features a built-in AM/FM radio and an auxiliary input for the connection of a CD or Cassette player.
Adding to its flexibility is the inclusion of the detachable front control panel, which also doubles as the GEORGE's wireless remote control. Some drawbacks, however, are the large external power supply, inconvenient subwoofer control, no incorporation of XM or Sirius Satellite Radio connectivity, and a high price tag.
Review - Manufacturer's Site
8. Panasonic SC-HC57 Micro Hi-Fi SystemPanasonic has always done well with their compact audio products and the SC-HC57is no exception. For $199 you get a compact audio system that can be table or wall mounted, with a single tray CD player (CDR/RW playback), FM tuner with 30 FM presets, iPod/iPhone connectivity via onboard dock or Airplay, and wireless remote control. A great added bonus is that this system also access internet radio stations if you have the vTuner for Panasonic app installed on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Another interesting feature is that the speakers are made out of bamboo. This a great little system that is both stylish and sounds good.