NOTE: The product entries for Home Theater-in-a-box systems are updated periodically with new units and reviews to keep them current.
1. Onkyo HT-S9400THX Home Theater SystemThe Onkyo HT-S9400THX is a 7.1 channel home theater-in-a-box that is designed for those that don't want the hassle of buying speakers and a receiver, but still want higher-end features and performance not usually provided in most all-in-one systems. The included receiver not only features Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, and Dolby Prologic IIz processing, but is also THX I/S Plus Certified for audio processing and loudspeakers to insure consistent, quality, performance and that everything in the system is both electronically and acoustically matched.
The HT-S9400THX is also 3D and Audio Return Channel compatible. However, it doesn't there. The HT-S9400THX also incorporates Marvell 1080p and 4K video scaling, and network connectivity that allows access to internet streaming content, as well as content stored on compatible PCs and media servers. For more details and perspective, read my HT-S9400THX Product Profile.
2. Yamaha YHT-897 5.1 Channel 3D Network Home Theater SystemThe YHT-897 is made up of separate components that include a RX-V473 5.1 channel (80wpc - rated from 20Hz-20kHz w/2 channels driven) 3D and 4K pass-compatible receiver, 100-watt Subwoofer with 10-inch driver, and a very stylish center/satellite 5 channel speaker system that includes two slim profile floor standing speakers for the left and right front channels.
In addition audio and video features, this system is also network-enabled, enabling access to vTuner Internet Radio as well as content stored on DLNA compatible devices connected in your home network. However, there is even more as this system also works with Apple AirPlay, which provides access to iTunes via Apple compatible devices and PCs. Although a remote control is provided, you can also use your iOS or Android phone or tablet to control this system by downloading Yamaha's free AV controller app (iOS version - Android version).
Compare Prices for the Yamaha YHT-897.
Also available, the YHT-797 and YHT-597. These two systems include the same home theater receiver, so the audio, video, and internet/networking features are the same, but offer all bookshelf and mini-bookshelf speaker systems respectively. Also, the YHT-597 provides a smaller 8-inch subwoofer rather than the 10-inch subwoofer included with the YHT-797/897.
Compare Prices for the YHT-797 - Compare Prices for the YHT-597.
3. Onkyo HT-S8409 THX-Certified Home Theater SystemThe Onkyo HT-S8409 combines the TX-NR609 7.2 channel THX-Select2 Plus Certified home theater receiver with a home theater speaker system made up of two floor standing front speakers, a center channel speaker, four surround speakers, and one 10-inch 120-watt subwoofer (you have the option of adding another subwoofer of your own, if desired). The HT-S8409 system also features extensive audio decoding and processing options, such as Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and, on the video side, also has six 3D compatible HDMI inputs and both 1080p and 4K upscaling. Also, iPod connectivity is provided with an included Docking Station.
However, the big added bonus on this system is internet connectivity, which provides access to internet radio (vTuner) and other music streaming services, such as Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, and more...
Whether watching movies or listening to your favorite music tracks, the Onkyo HT-S8409 fills the bill for less than $900. Definitely worth checking out for small and medium size rooms.
Also available: The Onkyo HT-S7409, which includes the same 7.2 channel home theater receiver as the HT-S8409, which means it has all same audio decoding/processing, video, and networking features, but instead of a full 7.1 channel speaker system with two floorstanding speakers, the HT-S7409 comes with a 5.1 channel speaker system featuring more compact all-bookshelf speakers. Of course, you can add two more speakers to create a full 7.1 channel system at additional cost.
4. Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater System Featuring Vacuum Tube TechnologyIf you want to upgrade to Blu-ray and are intimidated by the prospect of purchasing all new components, consider the Samsung HT-E6730W Home Theater System as an easy way to complement an HDTV. The big buzz about this system is that it includes a vacuum tube pre-amp stage for the front left and right channels, which not only adds warmth to home theater surround sound audio listening, but is great for two-channel audio CD listening.
This system also includes a 3D-enabled Blu-ray Disc player and 7.1 channel audio system with thin profile front tower speakers, wireless surround speakers and subwoofer, and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. Also, this system features built-in WiFi for access to a host of internet content (via Samsung Apps), including Hulu Plus, Netflix, Pandora, and more. You can even access content from your iPod/iPhone and other compatible portable devices. The Samsung HT-E6730W features a lot of cutting edge features with a nod to the pre-solid state era of audio performance.
Review - Product Photos - Video Performance Tests - Compare Prices
Also Available: Samsung HT-E6500w - This system features the same vacuum tube audio technology, 3D viewing options, and Internet streaming functions as the HT-E6730w, but instead of a 7.1 channel configuration with "tall boy" front speakers and height channels, the HT-E6500w provides a more traditional 5.1 channel configuration with bookshelf speakers all-around with wireless surround speaker setup, and has a more modest sized subwoofer.
Compare Prices for the HT-E6500W.
5. Onkyo HT-S7500 7.1 Channel Home Theater SystemThe Onkyo HT-S7500 combines a 7.2 channel home theater receiver (HT-R791) with a home theater speaker system made up of two floor standing front speakers, a center channel speaker, four surround speakers, and one 10-inch 120-watt subwoofer (you can another subwoofer at your discretion). The HT-S7500 system incorporates extensive audio decoding and processing options, including Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and also includes a preamp line output option for Zone 2 operation. For video, seven 3D compatible HDMI inputs with both 1080p and 4K pass-through and upscaling are provided. Also, iPod connectivity is included via the front mounted USB port.
However, in addition to all the audio and video features, the HT-S7500 incorporates internet connectivity (wired via ethernet connection or wireless via optional USB adapter), which provides access to internet radio (vTuner) and other music streaming services, such as Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, and more...
More Info - Compare Prices
6. Panasonic SC-BTT490 5.1 Channel Home Theater SystemThe Panasonic SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System really packs it in. The Blu-ray Disc player section not only plays both 2D and 3D Blu-ray Discs, but can perform real-time 2D to 3D conversion (3D TV required for 3D viewing). You can also control the actual depth the 3D image to your comfort level. Additional features include built-in Skype capability (additional webcam required) and WiFi for wireless access to your home network and the internet. Online content from services such as Netflix, Vudu, and CinemaNow provides a broad selection of movies to watch that you may not have on Blu-ray Disc or DVD.
On the audio side, the BTT490 combines 5.1 channels of amplification with very stylish and thin floor standing speakers for the front channels. The SC-BTT490 also provides a 3D Cinema surround function which projects sound from the speakers vertically as well as horizontally for a more immersive listening experience that is a great complement for 3D movie viewing. Another audio convenience is the incorporation of Audio Return Channel function that can simplify the audio connections with a compatible TV. Give the SC-BTT490 a look and a listen.
7. Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1 Channel Home Theater SystemThe Onkyo HT-S5500 Home Theater System consists of an Onkyo 7.1 channel home theater receiver combined with 7 compact bookshelf speakers and a 10-inch 120 watt powered subwoofer. The included receiver provides 4 3D and Audio Return Channel-compatible HDMI inputs, Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding, as well as Dolby ProLogic IIz processing, and iPod connectivity via the front mounted USB port. Also, easy setup is is provided via the Audyssey 2EQ automatic speaker setup system, with additional audio enhancements via Audyssey's Dynamic Volume and EQ.
8. Yamaha YHT-497 5.1 Channel Home Theater SystemThe Yamaha YHT-497 is a basic home-theater-in-a-box system that combines the RX-V373 3D/4K pass-through compatible 5.1 channel receiver (85 wpc - rated at 1 kHz with 2 channels driven), with a 100-watt 6.5-inch Subwoofer, and compact center/satellite 5 channel speaker system. This system provides good sound for both movies and music. In addition, the receiver section includes 4 HDMI inputs, on board Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, additional surround sound processing modes, and iPod/iPhone connectivity via USB. The Yamaha YHT-497 offers practical features and great performance for the price.
Compare Prices for the Yamaha YHT-497
Also available, the YHT-397, featuring slightly less power output, more compact mini center/satellite speakers, but does come with a larger 8-inch powered subwoofer.
Compare Prices for the Yamaha YHT-397
9. Onkyo HT-S6500 5.1 Channel Home Theater SystemThe Onkyo HT-S6500 comes with a 5.1 home theater receiver (HT-R758) featuring Dolby TrueHD/DTD-HD Master Audio Decoding, Zone 2 operation via external amplification, four bookshelf satellite speakers, a compact center channel speaker, and one 10-inch 120-watt subwoofer. The HT-S6500 system provides 3D compatible HDMI switching with InstaPrevue (six inputs and one output) as well as USB input for iPod/iPhone/Flash Drive plugin, as well as access to internet radio and music services, including vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody. Also, to make setup and use easier, this system includes the Audyssey 2EQ automatic speaker setup system, as well as Audyssey's Dynamic Volume and EQ. If you are looking for a home theater system that offers a lot of flexibility, and sounds better than your typical home theater-in-a-box system, check out the Onkyo HT-6500.
More Info - Compare Prices
10. LG BH9420PW 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray and Network Home Theater SystemLG is a well-known name in video, with its Plasma and LCD TV and PC monitors, but they also have a line of great sounding home theater-in-a-box systems. The LG LHB976 has some very practical features you might like.
First off, the LG BH9420PW features 5.1 channel amplifier speaker configuration with stylish floor stand speakers for the left and right front channels and wireless compact bookshelf surround speakers. In addition, the system incorporates a 3D-enabled slot loading Blu-ray Disc player and also provides 1080p upscaling for standard DVD. Also, with growing popularity of iPods/iPhones and USB flash drives, the BH9420PW comes equipped with an iPod/iPhone connectivity and USB port for listening to music, photo, and video files.
However, the big bonus is network connectivity, via Ethernet or WiFi, that enables the BH9420PW to access media content stored on a PC or stream media content from the internet from providers such as Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow, Pandora, and more.